Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA, 1995
M.Sc., Seoul National University, Korea, 1989
B.Sc., Seoul National University, Korea, 1987
Visiting Professor, Stanford University, USA, 1/06-1/07
Senior Device Engineer, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD), USA, 12/97-7/99
Visiting Scientist, Max-Planck-Institute for Metal Research, Germany, 2/95-12/97
Email:ycjoo at snu ac kr
Office: Room 33-304
- LS Academic Awards by The Kroean Institute of Metals and Materials (2016)
- Research Fellow by SBS Broadcasting (2012)
- Haedong Research Award by Korean Electronic Packaging Society (2010)
- Shinyang Awards by College of Engineering, Seoul National Univ. (2010)
- Outstanding Presentation Award by European Symposium on Phase Change and Ovonic Science (2010)
- YeonAm Professor Fellowship by LG-YeonAm Foundation (2005)
- Young Scientist Award by Korean Institute of Metals and Materials (2004).
- Best Teaching Award by College of Engineering, Seoul National University (2002, 2010).
- Spotlight Award by Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) (1999)
- Korean Government Overseas Fellowship (1989-1992)
- Iron and Steel Award by Pohang Iron and Steel Co., Ltd. (1987).
- Alumni Award by College of Engineering, Seoul National University (1987).
- Director of Material Research Society(MRS), 2016-2018
- Technical Program Chair, 2011 IEEE-International Symposium on the Physical and Failure Analysis of Integrated Circuits (IPFA), Songdo, Korea
- General Chair, 2009 IEEE- International Interconnect Technology Conference (IITC), Sapporo, Japan
- Meeting Chair, 2008 Fall MRS Meeting, Boston, MA, USA
- Committee Member, ADMETA
- Symposium Organizer, 2007 TMS Annual Meeting, (Symposium: Phase Stability, Phase Transformations, and Reactive Phase Formation in Electronic Materials VI), Orlando, USA.
- Symposium Organizer, International Conference on Processing and Manufacturing of Advanced Materials (THERMEC) 2006, Vancouver, Canada, (Advanced Thin Films and Nanomaterials)
- Symposium Organizer, Materials Research Society (MRS) 2006 Spring Meeting, San Francisco USA. (Materials, Technology, and Reliability for Copper Interconnects and Low-k Dielectrics)
- Symposium Organizer, Materials Research Society (MRS) 2003 Fall Meeting, Boston, USA (Symposium U: Thin Films Stress and Mechanical Properties X)
- Symposium Organizer, Materials Research Society (MRS) 2000 Spring Meeting, San Francisco, USA (Symposium D; Materials, Technology, and Reliability for Advanced Interconnects and Low-k Dielectrics)
Invited conference presentations
- “Origins of Atomic Transport and Suppression of Failures in Phase-Change Memory”, 2012 Material Research Society (MRS) Spring Conference, San Francisco, USA
- “Synchrotron measurement of Cu stresses in TSV structures”, Workshop for Stress Issues in Metallization 2012, Tokyo, Japan.
- “Highly reliable metal electrode for flexible/stretchable devices”, The 3rd International Workshop on Flexible & Printable Electronics (IWFPE) 2011, Muju, Korea
- “Electrical and Mechanical Reliability of 3-D Integrated Circuit Using Though-silicon Via (TSV)”, Advanced Metallization Conference 2011, Tokyo, Japan.
- “Residual Stress of Si near Through-Silicon-Via Structure for 3-Dimensional Packaging”, TMS 2011, San Diego, CA, USA.
- “Electric-field-enhanced atomic transport in phase change materials as the origin of the set-stuck failure in PRAM”, E\PCOS 2010, Milan, Italy.
- “Electromigration and Mechanical Properties of Chalcogenide Materials”, Gordon Research Conference 2010, ME, USA.
- “Electrical and Mechanical Reliability of Cu and Au Microbump for Fine Pitch Packaging”, The Japan Society of Applied Physics 2010 Spring Meeting, Kanazawa, Japan.
- “Reliability of Cu/Sn/Cu bonding for 3-D interconnects”, Advanced Metallization Conference 2008, Tokyo, Japan.
- “Cu-drift induced Dielectric Failure”, 2007 MRS Spring Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- “Electromigration of Sn Based Alloy Solders: Incubation Time, Threshold Current Density and Driving Forces”, 2007 TMS Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL.
- “Cu Interconnect Voiding”, Advanced Metallization Conference 2005, Colorado Spring, CO, USA.
- “Electromigration of Solder materials”, 8th Intentional Workshop Stress Induced Phenomena in Metallization, 2005, Dresden, Germany.
- “Effect of Stress gradient on Stress-induced voids in Cu/low-k interconnects”, 3rd International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technology and 9th International Conference on Advanced Materials, 2005, Singapore.
- “Effect of Microstructure and Dielectric Materials on Stress-Induced Damages in Damascence Cu/Low-k Interconnects”, 2005 Spring MRS Meeting, (Symposium B : Materials, Technology, and Reliability for Advanced Interconnects and Low-k Dielectrics) and (Symposium O : Thin Film – Stresses and Mechanical Properties XI)
- “Microstructure and Surface Damages during Thermal Annealing in Various Cu Films”, The 5th Pacific Rim International Conference on Advanced Materials and Processing, 2004, Beijing, China.
- “Stress and Stress-Induced Damage in Cu Interconnects”, 7th Intentional Workshop Stress Induced Phenomena in Metallization, 2004, Austin, TX, USA
- “Line width dependence of grain structure and stress in damascene Cu lines”, TMS 133rd Annual Meeting, 2004, Charlotte, NC, USA
- “Reliability of Cu/Low-k Interconnects”, Semicon Korea, 2004, Seoul, Korea.
- “Grain boundary characteristics and morphologies of stress-induced damage in electroplated and sputtered copper films”, 2003 THERMEC Conference, 2003, Madrid, Spain.
- “Electromigration in Single-Crystal Aluminum Interconnects”, 5th Intentional Workshop Stress Induced Phenomena in Metallization, 1999, Stuttgart, Germany